Former world super welterweight champion Ishe Smith has first confirmed that Errol Spence Jr. and Terence Crawford have agreed on a deal.
Smith posted the report on social media a week before media began reporting that they expected an official announcement soon.
“Sugar Shay” said the fight had an initial target date for the Sept. 17 slot in Las Vegas already taken by Canelo Alvarez. Smith now says both parties are aiming for a later date.
Canelo takes on Gennadiy Golovkin for the third time in the Mexican weekend celebrations.
Spence and Crawford will be targeting dates in October for another massive undisputed collision on the famous strip.
Here’s how Smith broke the news:
SPENCE vs. CRAWFORD DEAL
Hearing from some very reliable sources that Crawford Vs Spence is over. The problem is, Canelo skipped the September date he wanted against GGG. Date unknown at this time
— Ishe Oluwa Kamau Ali Smith (@IsheSugarShay) May 29, 2022
“I hear from some very reliable sources that Crawford v Spence is over. The problem is that Canelo skipped the September date he wanted against GGG.
“Date currently unknown,” Smith said.
He added: “Crawford versus Spence has the feel of Hagler versus Hearns. The Leonard vs. Hearns feels it, and the Tito vs. De La Hoya feels it.
“Both guys are undefeated, young and hungry. Canelo vs. GGG is by no means a bigger fight right now! These are just facts, no hate. It just isn’t.
After facing questions about his knowledge of the deal, Smith replied, “I’m not giving up. [news] unless I know for a fact.
“Someone said earlier that I was [cap]. As I said earlier before I even saw this, the [fight] is done, waiting for a date.
“I should just get down to writing and filing [news] through social networks. »
After reports surfaced in the past 24 hours that Spence vs. Crawford was a done deal, Smith said: “I reported Crawford and Spence were done a week ago.
“No one will give me my credit, though. It’s cool.”
I reported that Crawford and Spence were done a week ago, no one will give me my credit but lmao, that’s cool.
— Ishe Oluwa Kamau Ali Smith (@IsheSugarShay) June 3, 2022
Smith concluded, “If the writers who reported on Crawford vs. Spence didn’t get credit for breaking it first, they’d be [angry].
“It’s crazy how I dropped the bomb a week ago about the current fight and only [Ring Magazine Editor] Dougie Fischer admitted that I did. Crazy world.”
PAY PER VIEW
Spence vs. Crawford will be a Pay Per View affair and one of the most anticipated fights of recent years. Two welterweight juggernauts are putting their all on the line for all titles.
World Boxing News has confirmed that with Oleksandr Usyk facing someone he has already beaten in Anthony Joshua, and Canelo doing the same against GGG, Spence’s winner against Crawford will be the new pound-for-pound number one.
Phil, editor of WBN, has over ten years experience in boxing news. Follow WBN on Twitter @WorldBoxingNews.